By 1915, Oldham Corporation had decided to construct an "open air school for delicate children." However, due to wartime restrictions on borrowing, the Poor Children's Holiday Association was approached with a view to using their property at Castleshaw.
Dame Sarah Lees
Mayor of Oldham 1910
Patron of Oldham Poor Children's Holiday Association and Sanatorium School
Dame Sarah Lees, who had earlier contributed towards the extensions and heating of the building, met the £800 cost of its purchase and renovation.
There was now residential accommodation for 22 girls. It was hoped that provision would be made for boys at a later stage, when funding became available.